Sunday 24 February 2013

Snozzcumbers & Whizzpopping

Today, we packed some of Alfie's things into his suitcase.
He is going on an adventure with his cousins Mia and Millie.

We'll miss the little kid over the next couple of days, but he is going to have SO much fun with those girls, as well as Uncle Gaz, Aunty Keri and Nana & Grampy Newberry.

Things have been a bit difficult during the last week and I am badly in need of some much needed rest. So while I stay at home to recuperate, Alfie will no doubt be having a blast!

This is where they are going:-


Whilst Alfie is still too young to appreciate this amazing, talented author from my childhood, its made me think back to those days as a child, when Dad would tuck my brother and I up in bed and read for what seemed like endless hours.  Scenes from the likes of the BFG and Danny the Champion of the World still echo clearly in my head to this very day.  Who wouldn't remember those giants who blew good dreams into your head whilst you were sleeping?  Or the great plot to release hundreds of pheasants, by sewing sleeping tablets inside raisins?  Passing such memories on - with me being the parent who sits in a chair next to the bed, reading these treasured books, are future memories just aching to be made......  

So rather than dwell on the fact that our little man is away from us until Tuesday, I thought I'd spend some time reminding myself why I love these books so much.  
Here are some of my favourite quotes:-


"Meanings is not important, said the BFG.  I cannot be right all the time.  Quite often I is left instead of right."  - The BFG


"We all have our moments of brilliance and glory, and this was mine." - Boy



"You is getting nosier than a parker." - The BFG


"A whizzpopper!" cried the BFG, beaming at her.  "Us giants is making whizzpoppers all the time!  Whizzpopping is a sign of happiness.  It is music in our ears!  You surely is not telling me that a little whizzpopping is forbidden among human beings?" - The BFG



"I was glad my father was an eye-smiler.  It meant he never gave me a fake smile because it's impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren't feeling twinkly yourself.  A mouth-smiler is different.  You can fake a mouth-smile any time you want, simply by moving your lips.  I've also learned that a real mouth-smile always has an eye-smile to go with it.  So watch out, I say, when someone smiles at you but his eyes stay the same.  It's sure to be a phoney." - Danny the Champion of the World


"If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face.  And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it." - The Twits


"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly.  You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." - The Twits



"My father, without the slightest doubt was the most marvellous and exciting father any boy ever had." - Danny the Champion of the World



Until next time! x


1 comment:

  1. What did AJ (note I'm being restrained in using his correct name in a public forum?) spend is holiday money on?

    ReplyDelete